Procedure to upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04
- Create a backup of your server or vm.
- Upgrade all installed packages of Ubuntu version 18.04 by running sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade command.
sudo apt update
sudo apt list --upgradable
sudo apt upgrade
- Reboot the Ubuntu Linux system by tying the sudo reboot command
- Install the Ubuntu update tool, run: sudo apt install update-manager-core
- Start the upgrade procdure, run: sudo do-release-upgrade -d
- Reboot the box, run: sudo reboot
- Verify upgrades